Reading Notes: Myths & Legends of the Pacific Northwest (Part A)

  Bibliography: The following stories are from Myths & Legends of the Pacific Northwest by Judson


I've put a '✿' next to the stories I enjoyed the most, with notes on them below.

READING A:


  • How Kemush Created the World - This story was funny to me because it just felt really bizarre. Like, some things already existed before Kemush, yet Kemush is creating very similar things? I thought the part about the flat earth was funny as well. I didn't understand the relevance of him hunting the very animals he created, though.

  • How Old Man Above Created the World - I like origin stories, and I liked this one better than the Kemush story. One thing that didn't really make sense, though, was the old man created everything but couldn't even see the flat earth? So then was the earth just there or did he create it? I really liked the imagery of this story and the effect he had on the earth and nature. It's how I imagine my character Giselle in a way.

  • Why There Are No Snakes on Takhoma - Ha, this is like the story of Noah and the Ark, but instead of an ark they climbed to the clouds, and instead of two of every animal, they only kept the good ones. Funnily, the story specifically mentioned snakes. I wonder what the creator of the story had against snakes!




Comments

Popular Posts