Reading Notes: Myths & Legends of the Pacific Northwest (Part B)

   Bibliography: The following stories are from Myths & Legends of the Pacific Northwest by Judson


I've put a '✿' next to the stories I enjoyed the most, with notes on them below.

READING B:


  • An Indian's Vow to the Thunder Gods - This story was sad. I definitely don't have any children, but I can somewhat understand the bond a parent would have with their child and the unconditional love they have. That's the way I feel about my cats, honestly. Once you bond with them, it's so hard to let them go. And I know that an actual child is more intense than a cat, so I feel for this woman not wanting to fulfill her promise by giving up her son, and the sadness she felt when she couldn't protect him in the end.

  • Chinook Ghosts - Even though this story made little to no sense, I still enjoyed it. As far as the stories I've heard, this one is entirely its own. Some of the others are their own rendition of another or vise versa, but this one was new. I liked the ending how Blue Jay died and then saw everything the way the ghosts had been seeing it.

  • Coyote and the Dragon - I liked this one because of how the coyote quite literally lassoed the sun (yeah, the whole sun) and *moved it* so that when the dragon (who hated the sunlight) thought it was night and left its cave, the coyote released the sun, it going back into its usual spot and blinding the dragon, and the coyote killed the dragon while it was blinded by the light.

Photo by Zwaddi on Unsplash




Comments

Popular Posts